Topband: Ground Radials Yet Again

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Ground Radials Yet Again
From: "Ed Swynar" <gswynar@durham.net>
Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2006 06:23:32 -0500
An interesting --- and very easy to overlook! --- reference in ON4UN's latest
lowband bible in the matter of ground radials...

Specifically, wire laid atop the ground may be considered to have a velocity
factor of 50%...which means, of course, that any 1/4-wave (physically long)
radials that I meticulously laid-out beneath my inverted "L" last year were, in
fact, 1/2-wave (electrically long) radials...

This year I'm going to snip these wires in half: that should both minimize my
physical "footprint" (shorter tentacles!), while maximizing my "...electrical
print" (effectively doubling the number of radial wires) beneath the antenna.
I've been running some primary tests with one "L" here already, using nothing
but 1/8-wave (phyically long) radials atop the grass --- and the results have
been most encouraging.

Has anyone else ever run a full season on the band with such "shortened"
radials...? I think it might improve things considerably here in my
situation...anxious to get started, too, especially after learning that Buffalo
--- a mere 70 miles south of me --- has already received a 15-inch "windfall"
of protective white stuff!

~73~ Eddy VE3CUI - VE3XZ