Re: Topband: Tee Verticals

To: "'Jim Brown'" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>,<topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Tee Verticals
From: "Mike(W5UC) & Kathy(K5MWH)" <w5uc@cox.net>
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2006 06:27:50 -0500

>Second thought. Elevated radials need to be a signficant fraction of a
>wavelength above ground to provide the full benefit of elevating them.
>See the ARRL Antenna Book and ON4UN's book for a discussion of this. So
>the second thing I would do if I were you is to look seriously at your
>radial system. You might find a few dB of improvement there. I've
>bought some junk wire to improve my radial system, and expect to pick
>up a dB or so by the time I'm done."

 Amen.  Last fall I decided to rework my radial system. Here on this small
city lot it's difficult, and nice long, straight, 1/4 wl radials are out of
the question.  I put down 16 thirty foot radials.  Not much of an effort,
and that's what I got in return; not much.  This fall I expanded that radial
system.  I now have 62 radials, of any and every length as dictated by the
size/shape of my property, and unquestionably, I can tell a BIG difference.
Get some wire(lots) and start putting it down. I now have around 3000 feet
of wire down, and it is well worth the effort. I have worked two Europeans
and KL7J already this fall, with 100 watts. As soon as the K9AY array is in
place & working(today) I will correct that 100 watt situation.

73,
Mike, W5UC