Re: Topband: Auroral Oval - Propagation this morning

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Auroral Oval - Propagation this morning
From: "John Rogers" <johnr1g3pqa@onetel.com>
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2006 17:33:13 +0100
>From: "Phil Clements" <philc@texascellnet.com> @3.53am
>Subject: Topband: Auroral Oval
> Wow! Take a look at the oval tonight. The red part covers well into the
> northern USA. I wonder if you guys up there can see the lights?

Condx play strange tricks on 160m occasionally, and one of them was hearing
Cal W7IZD in MT rst559 about 0310 despite being inside the Auroral Oval! The
magnetic disturbance would normally be expected to attenuate any path
fringing the oval and close propagation for stations in the inside, but it
appears this was not the case this morning. Anyone have any explantion for
this?

Very little from XF4DL, that was too far for the condx., only 339 just
before sunrise, but again he was being heard better by some EU stations in
the north when condx indicated the reverse should be true. Possible skewed
paths as all USA signals were better on 275 deg beverage than 330 deg..

73's
John G3PQA