Topband: Drum Roll Please!!!!!

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: Drum Roll Please!!!!!
From: topband-bounces@contesting.com (by way of Bill Tippett<btippett@alum.mit.edu>)
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2006 15:54:27 -0400
From: "Mike(W5UC) & Kathy(K5MWH)" <w5uc@cox.net>
Subject: Drum Roll Please!!!!!
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2006 09:40:25 -0500

At last the K9AY antenna mystery is solved.  After trying almost all
of the numerous excellent suggestions that I received from some very
generous folks on this reflector, and for a reason I can't explain, I
went once again back to the schematic of the control & switching
circuit.  It was clear that the antenna worked on bands above 160
meters, but was stone deaf on 160.  So, in a fit of desperation, I
plugged the coax input from the antenna(s) directly into the Beverage
input on the FT-1000MP, and BOOM, no, Emeril Legase would say BAM,
lots of signal on 160. There was/is nothing wrong with the
antennas!  That led me back to the control box, where it was obvious
that there are only 3 components that could possibly be involved; two
connectors and a RFC.  I rummaged around in the junk box and found a
2.5 millihenry RFC and put it in the circuit, and once again, BAM, I
had plenty of signal on 160. I don't understand it but I'm a happy
camper.   The schematic from K9AYcalls for a 100 uh RFC, and the RFC
I had in there was a new, 100 uh choke that I bought at Radio Shack
last week. Prior to buying the known 100 uh choke I also had
installed what I believed to be a 300 uh choke.  I still need to work
on adjusting the value of the termination resistor to optimize it for
maximum F/B.  I'm not sure how I'm gonna do that because I sure don't
want to haul either the FT-1000MP, or the FT-920 out in the back
yard.  I may have to find a signal and talk to the XYL on 2 meter FM
while she watches the S meter.

A couple more significant bits of information. Someone posted a note
about cell phone chargers.  That was right on the mark. We had 3 of
them plugged in and they raise all kinds of a ruckus on 160.  Also
THIS computer is extremely dirty.  Fortunately the computer in the
shack, and the laptop are both quite clean.

Again many, many, thanks to all who took the time and interest to
offer suggestions.

73,
Mike, W5UC

P.S.  I DID have the Xfrmr connected incorrectly.  I ripped all of
that bifilar crap off of the core and wound an autotransformer.  It
works like a champ.