Topband: Yet Another Radial Question

To: Topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: Yet Another Radial Question
From: Dennis OConnor <ad4hk2004@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2006 05:16:26 -0800 (PST)
Bob, you will get tons of opinions..  From my experiments in investigating 160
radials, do not mix elevated and grounded radials...  If one radial is up, keep
em all up - or all down as the case may be...
The other point on elevated radials is that the coax should not be grounded
either, including back at the radio - and this point is missed by the published
authors I have read......  When Christman, and others have done an analysis by
NEC engine they 'apparently' have overlooked the fact that their engine assumes
an ungrounded antenna is ungrounded everywhere - I have not discussed this with
Christman or with Cebik, or others who actually understand the NEC engine <I
don't>, so it may be a bad assumption on my part but is a thought I have
carried around in my head...
For my later elevated radial tests I went to a link coupled tuner at one point
<which left that antenna/radials isolated from ground> and thought I could see
a small difference in favor of the antenna with the tuner versus the one
without...  How much of a contribution the extra tuned circuit played in that
small difference, I don't know... I didn't carry forward with that in a
rigorous comparison test, and it is an item on the project list in my head for
the future - if I live long enough to work my way down the list to it...

denny / k8do