Re: Topband: plasma TV RFI?

To: "Missouri Guy, N0TT" <n0tt1@juno.com>,"TopBand List" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: plasma TV RFI?
From: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Mon, 04 Dec 2006 08:53:12 -0800
On Mon, 4 Dec 2006 03:57:44 +0000, Missouri Guy, N0TT wrote:

>Jim, can you tell us what kind of cap is rated for AC line voltage?

I'm not as "up" on specific capacitor types as I should be, but I
believe that a DC rating of 600V or so should be safe on a 120VAC
circuit. The Digikey book lists Metallized Polypropylene Film and
Metalized Polyester Film capacitors rated for line voltage, and they
are not expensive. The parts I'm using came from an electronics
surplus store (we still have a few in the Bay area).

The key issues are dissipation at power frequencies, as well as low
stray R and L at RF.

Perhaps someone working more closely with component selection can
comment. I'll ask around too.

73,

Jim Brown K9YC