Topband: Top Band WAS

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Top Band WAS
From: <doktorij@bellsouth.net>
Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2006 8:20:32 -0500
I think timing is everything to work WAS and DXCC. Certainly you dramatically
increase your odds by playing in the three major 160 contests. Conditions in my
limited experience seem better to do so during ARRL160...

That beings said, I feel extremely lucky to have worked WAS in 2005 and 2006
during ARRL160. I do not consider my antennas to be top notch and I only run
100 watts. So would argue it's Elecraft mojo, and I wouldn't dispute that point
;o) Neither time did I use a special Rx antenna, but I suspect my QTH may be
quieter than many.

It's doable, and even possible in a weekend. I'm not sure how easy it would be
to accomplish strictly S&P, think you have to try calling CQ a bit, some state
participants do seem to be more inclined to operating S&P. Finding a clear
calling frequency on a contest weekend... Well that's another story entirely!

73 and thanks for all the QSO,

Julius
n2wn