Topband: Soldering ground radials

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: Soldering ground radials
From: "Donald Chester" <k4kyv@hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2006 07:23:50 +0000
For many years I have used silver alloy brazing rods that are sold in most
any welding shop.  They are sold for use with copper plumbing, since local
codes now prohibit lead solder because of the danger of the lead leaching
into the water.  They come in rods about 18" long and about 1/8" wide.  A
propane torch does not get hot enough, but Mapp gas torches work well.  You
need to heat the copper to a dull  red glow.  No flux is needed; copper
soaks up the molten solder like a sponge  soaks up water. Just clean off any
scaly oxide.  After 25 years there has been absolutely no deterioration in
my radial system.

Years ago I had a radial system soldered together using regular lead/tin
acid core solder.  I had to re-solder the radials about once a month.
Otherwise, the solder turned to a white powder, and the soldered connections
simply fell apart.