Topband: Measuring field strength (for the purpose of radialevaluation)

To: w8ji@contesting.com, topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: Measuring field strength (for the purpose of radialevaluation)
From: Telegrapher9@aol.com
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2006 21:34:45 EST
Tom,

I think you missed the point of my post. The end result desired is to
determine how effective the added radials are.

My method involves relative measurements. In this case we are comparing X
number of radials versus Y number of radials. As one adds radials on a ground
mounted vertical, the feedpoint impedance will decrease as the ground losses
are
lowered. So, one adds radials and measures the feedpoint impedance. When the
impedance stops decreasing it is time to stop adding radials.

I find it handy to set the radials on the surface - temporary radials. Then
the 'extra' radials, that are not really needed, have not gone through the
laborious burying process. Then bury the radials that are truely effective.

    Dave WX7G