Re: Topband: Antenna Analyzer

To: "George Wallner" <gwallner@the-beach.net>
Subject: Re: Topband: Antenna Analyzer
From: "Rick Karlquist" <richard@karlquist.com>
Date: Sun, 24 Dec 2006 13:00:10 -0800 (PST)
George Wallner wrote:
> I just got an AEA VIA (antenna) analyzer to "calibrate" some of my
> modeling.
> My 21 meter tall vertical is picking up a lot of signals (especially AM
> BC)
> that swamp the SWR and R/X readings, especially at 1.8MHz.
>
> Is there a good solution for this problem? (Other than filters.)
>
> I am surprised that the instrument only has a 5dBm output, when a decent
> size antenna in an urban environment could pick up several dBm worth of
> signals. (The AEA VIA seems to work great for everything else; but not for
> antennas...)
>
> TKS,
>
> George
> AA7JV

Sorry you are having this problem.  My MFJ-259B is similarly useless.
I just bought an AIM-4170 network analyzer from Array Solutions.
It uses a narrow band receiver and should be immune from this problem.
ALSO, in case you still need a BCB reject filter, you can calibrate
out the effect of the filter so that you get the true antenna impedance.

I haven't had time (what with Christmas) to try it out on my 160 meter
vertical yet.  I'll report my results on the reflector.

Rick N6RK