Re: Topband: 160m Mobile whips as a dipole, or a beam ?

To: paul@mcradio.com
Subject: Re: Topband: 160m Mobile whips as a dipole, or a beam ?
From: Tim Duffy K3LR <k3lr@k3lr.com>
Date: Tue, 02 Jan 2007 10:13:07 -0600
I am no longer using the DXE active antennas. The active antennas worked fine,
but in a multi multi with all of the RF from multiple bands, the active antennas
were trouble (no way to put bandpass filters ahead of the preamps).

As far as terminations, I have not experimented with putting resistors or other
matching networks at the feedpoints of the Valor antennas, however I do plan to
match them to 75 ohms at some point with simple L networks. I'll also add
ferrite feedline chokes at each antenna feedpoint to make certain that each
feedline is isolated. I expect to see a small enhancement to the pattern of the
array with these changes and also I expect the array gain to increase slightly
because of proper matching.

I tuned each mobile antenna but using my MFJ-259B at the end of the 75 ohm
feedline (RG6) for each antenna for minimum VSWR (about 2.2:1) at 1830 KHz.
There is no interaction between these antennas (electrically loaded and spaced
on a square of 98 feet), so they do not couple to each other upsetting the
minimum VSWR readings.

I am very pleased with the results. I'll be installing similar mobile antenna
DXE 4 squares for 80 and 40 meters this month.

Happy New Year and 73,
Tim K3LR

http://www.k3lr.com