Re: Topband: new to 160 with an Inverted L

To: "Mark DeBord" <markinkpt@hotmail.com>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: new to 160 with an Inverted L
From: "Cecil Acuff" <chacuff@cableone.net>
Date: Sun, 7 Jan 2007 15:01:30 -0600
My un-educated guess would be that the connection to the utility ground wire
would be a bad thing.   I would expect it to possibly introduce noise into
your antenna system.  Beyond that it ties your radial system to the power
distribution system "Static" wire which runs the top of all the poles on
that distribution feeder....may be miles.  It's purpose is to attract any
lightning as opposed to having it hit the primary conductors of the feeder.
I would disconnect that one and also create some distance between the end of
that radial and the power system ground point....maybe 25 to 50 feet.  I've
seen 13 Kv primary loose and slapping around into the static wire creating
one heck of a light show.

Cecil Acuff
K5DL