Re: Topband: MFJ 1025

To: tod@k0to.us, R.Gorski@Astronautics.com, topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: MFJ 1025
From: W2pm@aol.com
Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2007 15:58:51 EST

In a message dated 1/8/2007 3:48:07 PM Eastern Standard Time, tod@k0to.us
writes:

The  MFJ-1025 does not have an internal preamp.

Some radios, in particular  the FT1000MP series, provide an RF OUT and an RF
IN jack on the back of the  radio. The RF IN jack can be selected from the
from panel and is used with  beverages, K9AY loops, Pennants, EWE's and the
like.

The RF OUT  jack connects the transmitting antenna to this output when the
radio is  receiving. This permits one to use the transmitting antenna to
connect to  the AUX or the MAIN input of the MFJ . Now you can use an
external antenna  for listening or you can use it for providing a sense
antenna input  (connected to AUX) or you can use the TX antenna as a sense
antenna to  remove signals and/or noise (or add signal) to the RX antenna .
This is  discussed on the ON4UN book.

Sorry - I misstated the preamp issue - it does have a jumper.   However, Im
not sure the preamp has a separate gain control.  I have an  ANC4 which also
has a preamp for the noise but it is not very useful as I find  it necessary to
be able to twidle the noise preamp level.  Note that  because of a BCB band
filter in the 1025/6 the noise input is subject to a  degree of loss --
modifications for this are on W8JI's site (I think). Another  very useful mod
is to
put in relays to allow reversing the noise input with the  main input.. Ive not
done the latter mod but I have experimented in manually  reversing the noise
and main antennas (not for transmit of course) and find  better null
possibilities that way but I think those could be matched by bigger  and better
noise
antennas.  73 Pete W2PM