Re: Topband: beverage lobes

To: Larry Molitor <w7iuv@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: beverage lobes
From: herbs@surfvi.com
Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2007 13:07:50 -0400
  Rick Karlquist <richard@karlquist.com> wrote:

> When I was in AZ I never once heard a skewed signal. It wasn't that
> there weren't any but that skewed signals are always much weaker than
> "straight path" signals and they were never loud enough for me to
> hear through my incredible high noise level.

  It turns out
> that the skew path is so very much weaker for me that even when I can
> hear the EU's on skew I cannot work them.

The results from the Eastern Caribbean are oposite!  When the skew is in JA's
are sometimes as strong as NA and I can worked a dozen or more aproaching
sunrise. During the skewed path openings to JA the lower power and simple
Marconi antenna ops have a chance. During normal path propagation only the big
guns make it and they are just out of the noise.

If there is a reason to this I am not sure except that the skewed path seems
to avoid more polar absorbtion bending the path around an area of distubance.
For me so far the best skew seems to occur when the most disturbance at the
polar region is noted.

I wonder if others have made similoar observations on skew.

73

Herb Schoenbohm, KV4FZ