Re: Topband: Effect of DC on Ferrite Toroids?

To: <Topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Effect of DC on Ferrite Toroids?
From: "Tom Rauch" <w8ji@contesting.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2007 07:45:02 -0500
> How do you know if you are exposed to such trouble?I think
> in my small
> property it would be unlikly to develope such a problem
> but with somebody
> close to a power sub station or heavy industrial power
> supplies/supply
> lines/tranformers it could be a real problem!
> I know about a case where a powerline engineer was killed
> because of an
> earting problem 1/2 a mile away, imagine the power
> available to cook your core,excuse the pun. Tom, how do
> one check on this
> potential problem?

A clamp on current meter with low frequency response. I have
two types here (for very low frequencies) an "Amprobe" for
power lines and a homebrew hall cell detector.

You'd also be surprised how much current flows through
ground leads in the shack when external dc supplies are
grounded to the same common point as a rig unless the supply
has a floating negative terminal.

It often isn't a bother, but it is there and can sometimes
(if you have a grounded audio line external to the rig)
cause what people think is RF feedback because the
time-varying current from the 12V supply that follows voice
peaks on a SSB rig can modulate the mic input.

73 Tom