Re: Topband: Best Height Above Ground for a Beverage RX Antenna

To: "TopBand List" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Best Height Above Ground for a Beverage RX Antenna
From: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2007 13:25:07 -0800
On Thu, 11 Jan 2007 15:12:25 -0500, Joe Giacobello wrote:

>If I were to install Beverage antennas, the ends would wind up down in
>hollows, shielded by higher terrain on all sides.  Intuitively, I assumed
>that the performance would not be very good

I had the same concerns. Although my Beverages are not buried, both of them
run into the side of a hill, and both cross fairly deep ravines (70 ft or so
of down and up in lengths of 500 ft and 600 ft). I was advised to follow the
terrain, more or less, and that's what I've done. In a few places where I
cross a creek, I'm a bit higher above it than the 7-8 ft average overall.
They work fairly well, most of the time out-hearing my dipole and vertical
by 6 dB or so for fairly long paths.

Jim K9YC