Re: Topband: Norton preamp

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Norton preamp
From: "amdx" <amdx@knology.net>
Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2007 14:30:35 -0600

http://www.kongsfjord.no/dl/Amplifiers/Ultralinear%202N5109%20And%202N3053%20Amplifiers.pdf

>Steve, KK7UV

   Hi Steve,

 I built a couple of the push-pull amps in 1996 using the pcb design as in the
article you cited. I used
one in Dallas's phasing unit and If I recall correctly, I setup the other for a
loop. I didn't have any problem with them. I don't have any way to measure any
spec's, so I have to go with Dallas's numbers. I'm inclined to believe what he
says, he seems to be very meticulous and conservative.
 As for the hi-mu, these will work at AM broadcast and below, maybe to get the
proper inductance
he needed a hi-mu. Note the one turn feedback winding. The small size fit the
2.5" x 2.5" pcb.
 I seem to recall he built a smt board at one time.

                                                              Mike