Re: Topband: Re Small lot antenna idea

To: "steve d" <kc8qvo@yahoo.com>,"Top Band group" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Re Small lot antenna idea
From: "Michael Tope" <W4EF@dellroy.com>
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2007 05:33:05 -0800
From: "steve d" <kc8qvo@yahoo.com>
To: "Top Band group" <topband@contesting.com>
Sent: Friday, February 09, 2007 11:02 AM
Subject: Topband: Re Small lot antenna idea

> Thanks to all who replied. However, none of the other ideas are going to
> work. I dont have a flagpole, I dont have any trees (other than some that
> are at most 10' tall), and the total size of the lot is about 100x120'.
> Add to that, the lot is right next to a pond facing a main street - all
> but one side of the yard is completely exposed. I cant erect a support
> structure. Whatever antenna I come up with has to be nearly invisible. I
> know thats a lot to ask out of an antenna, but like I said before - I have
> to make due with what I have.
>
>  I have been using a screwdriver antenna on the back of my truck for 80
> meters and up and it has worked OK. I have about 150' of coax going out
> there. That works because the antenna is on my truck, not the house or in
> the yard. However, it isnt going to work on 160 because my truck isnt
> enough of a counterpoise.
>
>  I thought about using a balloon to pull up a vertical wire, but if it
> popped I would drape the wire over at least 2 other people's houses, and I
> am trying to do this as low-profile as I can. Thats why I want to use the
> plumbing in the house as the counterpoise - theres a lot of copper there
> to tap into.
>
>  Is there any other kind of wire I can toss up to radiate something?
>
>  If I use my screwdriver as a variable loading coil... maybe I could
> employ the balloon method and use a shorter wire - say, 60' or so? This
> would get me a nearly vertical antenna without any support structure. I
> could throw it up when I operate and take it down when Im not operating. I
> would still need a counterpoise though. Any thoughts, comments on that?
>
>  Its not fun being restricted but thats the way it is here. That doesnt
> mean I cant get on the band though. Im trying to find a way around my
> restrictions rather than face them head on.
>
>  Steve, KC8QVO

Steve,

I've got one of these 40' telescoping "Wonderpole" fiberglass masts:

http://www.wonderpole.com/custom_telescoping_poles.html

that I use to raise the far end of the horizontal top-loading wire on
my inverted-L up off the ground. When I am not using the antenna,
I can collapse the pole length to about 8'. The mast has twist lock
colletts at the section joints, so it takes just a minute or two raise the
pole:

http://www.dellroy.com/W4EF's-Ham-Radio-Page/160VERT/160VERT.htm

Two of these would allow you to erect and retract a 40' inverted-L
in about 5 minutes. In my case, the base of the wonderpole is at around
10' (2nd story porch), so the effective height when fully extended
is ~50'.