Re: Topband: (no subject)

To: "Lee A Crocker" <lee_crocker@yahoo.com>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: (no subject)
From: "Michael Tope" <W4EF@dellroy.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2007 03:18:40 -0800
From: "Lee A Crocker" <lee_crocker@yahoo.com>

> In your previous post to me, the defense was basically
> that the $1700 SDR radio didn't behave as well in a
> high RF situation as your $4000 radio plus your
> $40,000 FFT spectrum analyzer.  Unlike the SDR-1000
> these 2 pieces of gear are not integrated in any kind
> of systemic way, so the real analysis should be
> between the $1700 SDR's panadapter and the $40,000
> spectrum analyzer.  In order to visually search for
> the red meat you need a screen not a speaker.  I think
> it's a bit disingenuous to expect a $1700 radio to
> behave like $40k worth of equipment.

It wasn't clear to me from Tom's post that the $40K
FFT analyzer was any better than the SDR-1000 in
terms of dynamic range. I think he just said that the
$40K FFT analyzer was equally useful (or useless
as the case may be). In any event, it seems to me that
there will always be a fundamental tradeoff between
a narrow band receiver that can see on a sliver of the
band (and a sliver of the full-band signal power) and
a wideband receiver that can see all of it. This is
because no matter how good you make the dyanamic
range of the wideband receiver, you can always take
that same wideband receiver and make it the IF for a
narrow-band hetereodyne receiver and cut-off all that
extra unwanted wide-spaced signal power.