Topband: Sherwood data

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Sherwood data
From: "Phil Clements" <philc@texascellnet.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2007 09:18:47 -0600
>Subject: Topband: Sherwood data

>I have looked at Sherwood's data and I am not savvy enough to understand
>what is being measured. I am sure there are many others like me on the
>Topband reflector and we need to be educated in what to look for as we
>evaluate what is the best "bang for your buck."

I'm in the same boat as you, Craig. How much better is a -140 db noise floor
than a -130 db noise floor?  Is it enough to warrant the cost of a new
radio? Same with dynamic range; how much improvement in that area is worth
putting your radio up for auction E-Bay, and taking out an FHA loan for a
new rice box?

I was dubious when I purchased a pristine Drake R-4C several years ago, had
it fully "tricked out," and tuned for maximum blast. It seems that according
to the data that I'm in the ball park with all the new, revolutionary stuff
on the list. I just don't know the size of the ball park! I guess that I
hear about as well as anyone else on the band, so my investment was
justified.

I have been searching for many months for a new transceiver that has the
same or better specs as the Drake in the RX, good sounding TX audio, and no
key clicks.
I guess I'm asking too much; meanwhile I'll just "struggle" along with my
R-4C until it croaks!

(((73)))
Phil, K5PC