Topband: Receivers for 160

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: Receivers for 160
From: "Don Field" <don.field@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2007 19:02:33 +0000
Interesting thread on this subject. Seems to me the problem is that the
manufacturers design modern transceivers to be all things to all men. I
recall discussing this with the editor of CQ Ham Radio (the Japanese mag)
some years ago - it is clear that, to maximise profits, our radios are
designed to sell in high numbers outside the amateur world - many commercial
users, especially in emerging countries, find them a cheap alternative to
high-spec radios. Hence the need for so-called ham transceivers to have
general coverage capability. Where the K2 scores is that it is designed
purely for the ham bands, which allows a greater degree of optimisation. So
the natural follow-on is that we need to persuade Elekraft or whoever to
design a transceiver specifically for 160. Now wouldn't that be something!
But unfortunately the market would be far too small to justify the
development costs.

Don G3XTT