Topband: Moon and the Ionosphere : YO3FFF

To: Topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: Moon and the Ionosphere : YO3FFF
From: KT2Q <dxdx@optonline.net>
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2007 16:19:47 -0400
Cristi,

According to Ionospheric Radio (Davies) the
geomagnetic variations caused by the Moon are
usually small. I believe they are due to the Moons
gravitational tug on the ionosphere.

My best guess is that this Lunar effect would
cause small changes in electron density due to the
distortion of the magnetic field. It's probably
easier to detect this on quiet days and at
specific latitudes.

It's all speculation on my part though and this
would be a good question for Bob (NM7M) or Carl,
K9LA.

Tony - KT2Q