Re: Topband: aluminium welding wire

To: "VE2RYY" <ve2ryy@globetrotter.net>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: aluminium welding wire
From: "George (K8GG) & Marijke Guerin" <gmguerin@voyager.net>
Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2007 11:38:51 -0400
Noel, VE2RYY wrote:

----- Original Message -----
From: "VE2RYY" <ve2ryy@globetrotter.net>
To: <topband@contesting.com>
Sent: Thursday, April 05, 2007 10:12 AM
Subject: Topband: aluminium welding wire

>I  have the opportunity of getting three spools of .035" al. welding wire.
> each spool is about 20 lbs.
> I wonder how many feet we get from one spool.
> Anybody using this kind  of wire for radials on 160.meters.
> I wonder how long the radials will last on the ground?????
> Copper is so expensive these days....
> I would appreciate input on this ..
> Thanks
> NOEL

IMHO, aluminum wire will corrode quickly in soil, and usually sets up wet
cell batteries where ever it comes in contact with a stone.  Aluminum is
quite active, maybe 4 on the ph scale where 7 is neutral and most limestone,
concrete, etc., is about 9.  That is why galvanized fence wire lasts a long
time in most soils.

GL        George    K8GG