Topband: Small gauge wire for radials

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: Small gauge wire for radials
From: Bill Tippett <btippett@alum.mit.edu>
Date: Thu, 05 Apr 2007 17:56:35 -0400

W0NFL:
 >I noticed someone commented that they thought 19 gauge
wire was two small for radials.

         That was me.  I was referring to mechanical
strength not electrical properties.  It makes no
difference electrically but a critter grazing would
easily break wire much smaller than #20.  Some of
mine are laid over a pasture (until they are buried
naturally) and cows tugging on it could break fine
gauge wire.  If you have no issues with mechanical
strength then smaller gauge wire should be OK.

 >Just add more wire if the gauge is small.  Make sense?

         No, not for legal power levels.

                                 73,  Bill  W4ZV