Re: Topband: coil wire oxidation

To: "Bruce" <k1fz@verizon.net>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: coil wire oxidation
From: Peter Burbank <nv4v@adelphia.net>
Date: Fri, 06 Apr 2007 15:01:06 -0400
At 12:05 PM 4/6/2007, Bruce wrote:
>I have two Johnson 229-203 rotary inductors that I want to use in a 160
>tuning network. One has somewhat oxidized wire. Wire size is about #12,
>composition unknown.    Anyone know of a real good way to clean?
>Thanks in advance.   73' Bruce
Bruce,
I had heard that the oxide was conductive and that didn't seem right
as I always heard popping and cracking
as I rolled my tuner to rough out the right setting.
Then I saw a post that it was actually not an oxide but a sulfide and
an easy way to remove it.
Any polish will take off the silver but this method just pulls the
sulphur off leaving the silver.
Plus it's really easy.....here's how:
In a big non-stick pan that your coil fits in you put water and get
it warm. Then you stir in a 1/2 cup
or so of plain ol' Arm and Hammer soda and lower the coil in. Just
bring it to a simmer. You also
drop in a ball of crumpled up aluminum foil....that turns black as
the sulphur transfers.
Just keep watching it over the next few hours and top off now then.
It will look like a new coil after while.
I tried it and it's magic!
I poked around on the net awhile to see if Silver Sulfide was an
insulator but never did find anything.
73 Pete NV4V