Topband: info on radial repartition

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: info on radial repartition
From: "lahlumradio@juno.com" <lahlumradio@juno.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2007 00:24:35 GMT

The addition of 160 m radials will do little to the Z11 on 80 meters
especially if you have a good radial system in place for 80 meters. I
went thru the same with my 4 square on 80 meters. I added 160 meter
operation for the array by using the NE/SW diagonal elements as a 2
el array on 160 meters. I noted a slight change in the Z11 on 80
meters as I added 160 meter radials to the two diagonal elements, but
it was in the order of 2 ohms. Since the 80 meter Z11s of the
elements vary by that amount anyway, I did not let it over concern
me. I have measured the Z11 impedance of a number of vertical arrays,
and seldom do the Z11s of the elements fall within 1 ohm. They often
vary by as much as 5 ohms or more. I would suggest you measure the
Z11s (at resonance) of your two elements and if possible add 160
meter operation to the one with the larger Z11 if it concerns you.

The currents in the two elements are the important thing. Z11 effects
the current I agree, but the effect of 1-2 ohms is minimal to the
pattern. What from a practical standpoint what is usually of more
importance, especially for short elements, is that the  Z11 resonant
freq of the elements be the same.

Robye W1MK