Topband: DU9/N0NM QRT low bands

To: "Topband post" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: DU9/N0NM QRT low bands
From: "Jon Rudy-MCC Asia Peace Resource-Gmail" <mccapr@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2007 08:59:57 +0800
DU9/N0NM has gone QRT from 160 meters. In preparation for moving back to
Pennsylvania, USA, I have taken down all the low band antennas and packed up
the amp. Since 2001 I have been on the air and been working hard to work the
east coast from southern Philippines on 160 meters. The "Holy Grail" of QSOs
became working Jon, AA1K. Despite a Herculean effort by Jon to QSO me, my high
urban/tropical noise level won out and I never did hear his call although he
heard me many many times. DU9 is one of the truly RF black holes in the world.

For all those who helped me over the years a big thank-you! These include W4DR
my QSL manager since 3DA0CA days. Bob also lent me an amp. W8UVZ, George got
the amp to me when airlines refused to carry it days after 9/11. He also
collected various bits of equipment for RX antennas which helped a lot. Barry,
W9UCW, send a BC filter which reduced BC crud from 40 over S9 to my noise floor
(still S9+10). W8JI for the technical advice, KD9SV, W4ZV and others for
assistance in various ways. I know there were others who chipped in support but
remain anonymous. A special thanks to Bob, VK3ZL who worked me every time he
was on. On most nights he was the only log entry after 3 or more hours of
calling and a QSO with him confirmed I was TX and RX.

I have changed my call to K3QF and will try to get on top band from my small
lot in Pennsylvania. I am sure the log will fill up faster than it did in DU.
Beginning 1 June, QSL cards can be sent to me in Pennsylvania.

73 and thanks for all the friendships over the years of 'being' DX.

Jon...K3QF...3DA0CA, 4D71/N0NM, 4D71NM, 4W3ZZ, A2/ZS5UZ, AA0NM, C91CO,
DU9/N0NM, I4/N0NM, M/N0NM, WN0UZZ, WB0UZZ, ZS5UZ

PS We actually leave 28 May so I may have a 20/17 meter dipole up and use my
little portable FT-100 until then which I am hand carrying home.