Re: Topband: Earl K6SE - how it all began by PY1RO -

To: <topband@contesting.com>,"Carlos Dasilva (cadasilv) (by way of Bill Tippett<btippett@alum.mit.edu>)" <cadasilv@cisco.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Earl K6SE - how it all began by PY1RO -
From: "Tom Rauch" <w8ji@contesting.com>
Date: Wed, 2 May 2007 16:43:04 -0400
Early january 64 I knew I was going to spend some
3 months in Detroit (I worked for Burroughs
then), and not yet licensed, I got on 20 CW from
a friends station and called "CQ Detroit". It
didn´t take long and W8DGP (then Earls call) came
back and he sure wanted to meet me and gave me his phone
number.>>

Dear Rolf and all,

The general Detroit/Toledo/Cleveland/Chicago area was a
hotbed of 160 meter activity.

The center of activity was mainly working mobile, although
there was a great deal of medium distance ragchew activity.
There was very little state-to-state DX and virtually no
steady long distance DX except for people like W8GDQ.

I have some stuff about early 160 at:

http://www.w8ji.com/160_history.htm

PY1RO and Ron PY2FUS sent me some original W1BB PDF
documents, and I am processing (a very long process because
of the formatting time) a new collection from another long
time 160 op DL9KR (active as DL9KRA).

Data on Earl's early activity should be added since he was
an important part of the operating and technical advancement
of 160 meters, but I have nothing myself other than
memories.

The 1970's were the most rapid advance in 160 technology and
change in operating habits from a local band to a long range
band.

73 Tom