Topband: OA4/N6XQ QRT until July

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: OA4/N6XQ QRT until July
From: Henry Jack <n6xq@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 21 May 2007 01:07:21 -0700 (PDT)
Hi Topbanders,

  It was a real pleasure to work some of you folks on
topband from Peru the other evening. It was a real
treat to finally get into Europe.  Unfortunately I am
now back in the US and am unable to comply with the
numerous sked requests.

  I am semi-retired and spend 50% of my time in Peru
so I will be active again early in July. My QTH is
about 150 km south of Lima near the coast amidst acres
of farmland. The QTH is very quiet on all bands
including 80 meters, so I thought 160 would be a snap.
 I put up a temporary inverted L on some bamboo poles
up about 40 feet, strung a couple of radials over the
fertile soil and fired up. Wow, the resonant antenna
really brought up the noise. I really had to struggle
hearing the calls and am sure I missed a lot of folks.

  Pronto I will improve receiving with a beverage or
flag/loop antennas. Improvement on the transmitting
end is also planned. The amp is an old kenwood TL-922
and was only putting out  500W because of some
mismatch.

Please be patient and we will eventually get everybody
in the log.

73  Jack  N6XQ