Re: Topband: RG-6 Connectors

To: "Top Band" <topband@contesting.com>,"Mike(W5UC) & Kathy(K5MWH)" <w5uc@suddenlink.net>
Subject: Re: Topband: RG-6 Connectors
From: "EP Swynar" <gswynar@durham.net>
Date: Wed, 23 May 2007 06:39:47 -0400
On 23rd May, Mike wrote...

> Are those of you using RG-6 for phasing lines in RX arrays using F
 connectors, or some other connector?

************************

Hi Mike,

Back about a year ago, or more, there was a "The Doctor Is In" segment of
QST magazine that described a way to utilize standard PL-259 plugs --- plus
RG-59 reducers --- on RG-6 coax cable.

The trick was to find a way to ensure a good electrical connection to the
outer shield --- that nasty aluminum foil stuff, & all.

In keeping with the spirit of the article, I ended-up treating the cable
like it was regular RG-59, only instead of adding solder, I deployed a
minimum amount of epoxy cement. The result is an electrical  "friction fit"
connection of the PL-259 shell to the shield, with the mechanical integrity
of which being secured / stabilized by way of the epoxy...

Yes, I had my doubts here too, but the connections I made --- all
FOURTEEN(!) of them in my 3-element inverted "L" phased array system ---
survived their first Canadian season of DX activity on 160 no worse for
wear...

~73~ Eddy VE3CUI - VE3XZ