Re: Topband: rigs for top band

To: "Tree" <tree@kkn.net>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: rigs for top band
From: "EP Swynar" <gswynar@durham.net>
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2007 12:04:32 -0400
On 18th August, Tree wrote...

"...So - keep it on your radar.  This little 8 pound box is not only easy to
use, but has the performance to turn many heads."

*************************

Back some 4-5 years ago, I helped to man the 40-meter CW tent at a local
club's Field Day effort...

Not having taken part in FD for several years, I expected the usual
cacaphony (sp?) of inter-mod / "phantom" CW signals / blocking / ad nauseam
that one usually encounters whenever several stations are crowded in close
to one another like this. I was floored by the absolute immunity to such
ills that the Elecraft rig we were using displayed!

Midway through my shift, I subbed-in my venerable Icom 751A for a "run"...it
was removed from service post haste by yours truly, bearing a red face ---
the difference in the performance of these two rigs truly had to be heard to
be believed.

I'd always considered the Elecraft to be some marginal, QRP-fringe outfit,
until I was shown otherwise that day!

~73~ Eddy VE3CUI - VE3XZ