Re: Topband: AIM4170 antenna analyzer

To: jkaufmann@alum.mit.edu
Subject: Re: Topband: AIM4170 antenna analyzer
From: "Rick Karlquist" <richard@karlquist.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2007 15:33:16 -0700 (PDT)
John Kaufmann wrote:
> A some of you may know, the AIM4170 antenna/impedance analyzer was
> Immunity to RF overload appears to be quite good.  I took the analyzer to
> a friend's QTH for antenna measurements.  He lives very close to a 50 KW
> AM BC station.  With a wideband scope we measured 0.4 V peak RF across the
> feedpoint of the antenna from the BC station.  However, we had no trouble
> making good measurements from 160 to 10 meters.  My friend's Autek
> analyzer completed folded up in the presence of the same interference.
> The manual for the AIM4170 indicates 2 V peak is the "damage" threshold
> for the device.

Depends on what "good" means.  I am 6 miles from the nearest BC
station and the AIM4170 is useless measuring my 90 foot 160 meter
vertical.  The manufacturer refuses to modify the software to allow a BCB
reject filter to be calibrated out, so I have a $500 paper weight.  Even
if this software is written, I have to spend $200 on a BCB reject filter
to make it work.

Rick N6RK