Re: Topband: C52

To: <Topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: C52
From: "Cecil Acuff" <chacuff@cableone.net>
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2007 08:47:04 -0500
From: "Merv Schweigert" <k9fd@flex.com>
To: <Topband@contesting.com>
Sent: Monday, October 22, 2007 7:28 PM
Subject: Topband: C52

> Lat nite C52 had a decent signal for at least an hour or more,
> I finally gave up and shut down the rig.  Just wanted to know
> if they hear as bad as it seems, I only heard them work a
> few stations in that hour, and many were calling,

Night before last I was very surprised at how strong they were here in south
MS.  I only have meager antennas and was blown away at their strength from
nearly 5000 miles away.  It was a great time for me to play with my loop a
bit.

I decided to see if I could somehow load my Windom that is way off for 160.
The tuner loaded it with much work and some crazy settings compared to other
bands.  The amp loaded and we were off.  After an hour of listening and
calling I shut the station down.  They were still very strong with long,
deep slow QSB.  The interval between fades were long but the fades didn't
last very long.  The fades were no different between my Loop and receiving
on the Windom.  I did hear them work many stations that night and I was able
to hear about 80% of the stations they were answering.  The pileup was very
large and quite rowdy.  I had my doubts that many that were calling could
hear the DX.  I tried every trick I know but no go...

May try again if I hear them tonight...my back yard is flooded from 8" of
rain last night....bad storms in the deep south!

I noticed many times they would come back to part of a call and the caller
was returning the call to make the contact and the DX would go to calling
CQ.  I think they are getting out much better than they are receiving.  I
wonder what they are using to transmit on...it was working great!

Best DX I have heard at this QTH so far on Topband.

Cecil
K5DL