Topband: Big CQWWSSB 160 Mtr Scores Being Posted Out of EU

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Big CQWWSSB 160 Mtr Scores Being Posted Out of EU
From: ah8dx Craig Maxey <ah8dx@msn.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2007 15:53:06 -0700
Big CQWWSSB 160 Mtr Scores Being Posted Out of EU.

As the SOSB 160HP scores start to trickle in, it is apparent that the boys from
across the pond amassed some amazing numbers in last weekends CQWWSSB. I
applaud these ops for their tenacity on a very difficult band. It is very easy
to give up and only the strong willed will survive and stick with it. I believe
ops are putting up better xmit antenna's and better rx antenna's.

Even with these high scores there still are higher scores to be posted that we
have not seen yet. The SOSB 160HP catagory appeared this year that it was and
is the category to keep an eye on. A friend in northern Africa told me before
the test that when he switched the beverage aimed at the Caribbean, that he
could tell that there was a major wx storm in that area without even looking at
the wx channel. He could not have been more right on!

With Tropical Storm Noel picking up steam, the static crashes/QRN were some of
the worst that I ever have experienced since contesting from the Caribbean in
the early 1980's. At times, the QRN would peg the s-meter and it would take
several seconds for the radio to recover. Listening to my recordings of the
contest, it hurts my ears when the static crashes are heard. Trying to dig out
signals in between the heavy crackle was very unpleasant. I certainly
understand why scores were down this year from the Caribbean/South America
areas. No excuse though; this is why I love this band. You have to WORK for
qso's. They do not come easily.

Please post your observations in regards to what you think. Several comments
from guys that entered this category from EU stated that they had record number
of German stations make it into their log.  I am curious why such a high number
of German's and why not a high number of EA's and so forth.

Thanks for all of the top band qso's and c u on 160 again.

Craig, WP2/AH8DX