Re: Topband: frustration

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: frustration
From: ku8e@bellsouth.net
Date: Tue, 06 Nov 2007 17:56:30 +0000
I agree 100% with what  K8ND, W4ZV and K4RO have said about operating in the
Caribbean.

I have been to PJ2T twice and I was shocked how weak most of the USA stations
were the first time I operated there. It was nothing like the northernmost
islands like VP5 where many of the USA stations were as loud on 160 as they
were at home. You really can tell who has the good antennas
(i.e W8JI, W8LRL, VY2ZM, W4ZV etc...) because their signals are way above the
crowd.

   When I was in Bonaire (PJ4/KU8E) for the ARRL DX CW contest earlier this
year I did signal band 160.  I lucked out because the condx were good and the
band was quiet that weekend. We also found a great place to run a beverage to
the NW (USA). There is a road that runs down into a valley with a view to the
ocean behind the QTH .  It has solid rock cliffs on either side of it that
effectively blocked signals from all directions except to the NW. This was the
best beverage antenna I had ever used.  I had no problems working even the QRP
guys.

   K8ND reported the first night I was on 160 from the island - when I didn't
have the beverage up yet that I had tons of USA stations calling that I
couldn't hear. The next night when I had the beverage up it made all the
difference in the world.

Many of the Caribbean islands are mountainous as well. At the PJ2T QTH they
have a big hill in the direction of EU and have had to resort to putting their
RCV antennas up on that ridge to just hear EU.
At the PJ4G QTH we are on top of a hill with almost a 360 degree ocean view
which makes for a much better location for 160 meters.  PJ2T has a direct ocean
shot to the USA and has a much better signal in that direction.

I fear I too am brain damaged like K8ND and will also be plugging away on the
top band in a couple weeks. CU then...

Jeff  PJ4/KU8E