Re: Topband: Upside down Vertical Antenna

To: "TopBand List" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Upside down Vertical Antenna
From: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Sat, 10 Nov 2007 07:39:58 -0800
On Fri, 9 Nov 2007 11:28:23 -0800, Bob Eldridge wrote:

>Exploring further I found he
>lived at the top of an apartment building and the shield of his coax was
>connected to a 134 ft (downwards) vertical.

Two observations. First, the antenna needs some low impedance radiator to
act as a path for return current. Second, whatever carries that current
will radiate -- it's RF current, so it radiates. In other words, the
building was part of the antenna.

When I lived in Chicago, the first function was fulfilled for my
improvised 160M vertical by a wrought iron fence that ran around the
front of my house. It worked pretty well in that regard, but it probably
didn't radiate much. The 134 ft building probably radiated very well. :)

73,

Jim Brown K9YC