Topband: Starting 160M again from a new QTH de K4LY

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Starting 160M again from a new QTH de K4LY
From: Doug Allen <dougw0ah@msn.com>
Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2007 08:07:06 -0700
Like a recent poster here, I've recently moved and downsized the aluminum
garden!  In Colorado as W0AH, I had 5 acres and six towers including beverages
and a 100' shunt fed tower that worked very well on 160M.  Here in SC, I have
8/10ths of an acre, two towers plus a Hygain Hytower, two flag antennas for
receive, and a inverted L with room for 100' radials over only about 100
degrees.  It's actually working better than I expected with 63 countries worked
on 160M this season, but no Asia so far.
Last night was terrific on 160M with 16 Europeans worked including HB0/HA0HW
for a new one. My questions are these:
1) I have room for larger flag antennas than the 28' by 14' variety.  Is it
possible (and is it worthwhile) to increase the sides proportionally, say to
56' by 28',  while maintaining the same F/B characteristics, etc.
2)  What is the penalty I am paying by having my 1/4 wl inverted L AT A 50
DEGREE ANGLE SLOPE TO THE NORTH (from the base of a Hygain Hytower to the 85'
level above a tower about 50' from the Hytower with the extra 30' extending
further north and slighly  downward  toward my 55' "VHF" tower) compared to a
130' vertical? And compared to shunt feeding my 66' Rohn 45 tower (only 5' from
the corner of the house) with ten feet of mast above the tower with a 34' 6M
beam on it?
It looks like it will be a great 160M season!

Doug K4LY  ex-W0AH
web page
http://DougW0AH.googlepages.com/home