Re: Topband: Antennas in trees

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Antennas in trees
From: "W2RU - Bud Hippisley" <W2RU@frontiernet.net>
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2007 18:41:19 -0500
From: Tom Boucher
Sent: Wednesday, November 14, 2007 1:50 PM
Subject: Topband: Antennas in trees

 Eddy VE3CUI suggested that a lossy tree is better than a mast - not true
Eddy because the tree is resistive and any RF current induced in it will be
dissipated as I squared R heat. A metal mast on the other hand will not be
so lossy.

When I first got into amateur radio, open wire transmission lines were much
more in vogue, and in order to reduce spacer loss, a very popular form of
spacer consisted of paraffin-treated wood dowel material.

It seems to me that anyone who has to hang their wire verticals in the woods
should simply splash hot paraffin on all the nearby trees....

Bud, W2RU