Re: Topband: Using wires from large trees as verticals?

To: "topband@contesting.com" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Using wires from large trees as verticals?
From: Andreas Hofmann <Andreas.Hofmann@microsoft.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2007 11:49:54 -0800
Thanks for all the responses I have received. Great group of knowledgeable
people. Yes I do have the books most of you suggested...

A couple of follow up questions:
1. The wire should be insulated since it will touch branches/trunk, right?
2. Radials seem to be the most important thing.  Do they have to be a certain
length wires or can I use something like wire mesh sold reinforcing concrete
patios?
3. I know any structures should be as far as away as possible, but how far.
Would my house in say 25 m distance (75 feet) be a major problem?  Even if the
direction of the house is not a major desired radiation direction?
4. Safety. How do people protect the antenna/radials from being touched by
kids/animals etc.?
5. Can I get away with not having radials if it is a vertical dipole feed in
the middle (impossible for me at 160m, but may be possible for 80m)?  Coax on
the other side of the trunk down or something?
6. I am reading that a quarter wave vertical has about 31 Ohm of impedance. How
does it get matched to 50 Ohm coax?

Thanks and 73,
Andy KU7T (ex Y38WF, ex DL6UST)