Re: Topband: Help needed on grounding rods

To: <ik0yvv@libero.it>, "topband" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Help needed on grounding rods
From: "Tom Rauch" <w8ji@contesting.com>
Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2007 07:30:22 -0500
> In my garden ( a 12m x 12m lot) i've put all my low band
> antennas: in the middle there's a 20m vertical for 80 and
> 160 with some 60 radials of different lenght (from 10 to
> 40m .... of course the longest one are sloped back), 2 EWE
> with 4 short radials each side and a single k9ay loop with
> other 3 short radials.Each antenna is even connected with
> a ground rod buried some 2 meters in the hearth ... so
> there are 5 ground rods in my 12m*12m lot .Have i to
> connect each rod to the other? Or it's better each one is
> not eletrically connected to the other ? Of course the
> main rod is even connected with the house groud (this one
> has the house ground with the 20m vertical radial sistem).

Marco,

What you need to do is make provisions for a single point
entrance ground for all cable shields. Something like these
entrances:

http://www.w8ji.com/contest_station_w8ji.htm

or

http://www.w8ji.com/station_ground.htm

This way nothing can flow through your equipment from cable
to cable inside the house.

Outside, you should bond entrance grounds together with a
short heavy lead, but I would NOT bond the receiving antenna
grounds to any other grounds at or near the antennas. I
would only tie the receiving antenna grounds together by
grounding shields just outside or inside the house entrance.
Inside if you have an entrance panel, outside if you do not
have a common entrance panel.

I would never, due to  noise considerations, bond small
receiving antenna grounds to power mains grounds at or near
the antenna. Never.

73 Tom