Re: Topband: Nightfall of Beverage's type antennas ???

To: "Wolfgang Wessely" <Wessely@asamnet.de>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Nightfall of Beverage's type antennas ???
From: "Tom Rauch" <w8ji@contesting.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2007 18:58:32 -0500
> May I ask you about a problem with a beverage, which I
> cannot understand...
> I have my daugther at the other end of the wire to turn a
> carbon-potentiometer for best SWR staying me at the other
> end, where I
> do the measurement with the MFJ-analyzer for minimum SWR.
> Then I measure the potentiometer-value and change it for a
> resistor.
>
> Now at this beverage I wonder, that the potentiometer
> shows 80-90 Ohms
> for best SWR!

Wolfgang,

Did you adjust for minimum SWR variation or  change with
frequency, or did you adjust for minimum SWR??

You want minimum SWR fluctuation or minimum change in SWR
with frequency. If the SWR is 2:1 or 3:1 it does not matter
for this adjustment. What matters is if it stays steady at
some value as the frequency sweeps upwards with only a
gradual change.

You also cannot measure this through any feedline. It has to
be at the matching transformer at the antenna end, not in
the house.
You do not want minimum SWR. You cannot measure through a
transmission line.

73 Tom