Re: Topband: Sunset / Sunrise and low dipole question

To: Topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Sunset / Sunrise and low dipole question
From: Paul Kelley N1BUG <paul.kelley.n1bug@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2007 21:10:43 -0500
Gilles RENUCCI wrote:
> Different authors are saying that a low dipole (id 30 to 60 feet
> high) on 160m can in certain circumstances be better than a
> vertical during the short period of sunset/sun rise ducted
> propagation.

Sunset/sunrise is the most common time for high angle DX signals but
it can happen at other times. I am glad I kept my low dipole
(inverted V, apex at 75 feet, ends at 15 feet) after completing my
vertical.

An example: Saturday evening EY8MM was running 579 for quite some
time (almost two hours) on my inverted V. He was never better than
339 on the vertical or any Beverage. Although weak, I could hear him
on all Beverages, regardless of direction, which is common when
signals are arriving from a very high angle. This was not during
sunset or sunrise at either end of the path. I worked Nodir very
easily on the inverted V. I doubt a QSO would have been possible had
I used the vertical. UK9AA was similarly high angle at the same
time, but much weaker and not workable. Signals from Europe and
Africa were all arriving at relatively low angles during this period.

73,
Paul N1BUG