Re: [TowerTalk] Capacitors To Tune 160 Vertical

To: "Jim Brown K9YC" <k9yc@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Capacitors To Tune 160 Vertical
From: " Peter Forbes" <prforbes@bigpond.net.au>
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2007 06:58:30 +1100
Jim,

I would be surprised if your 10 - 100nF 400VDC capacitors are capable of
taking 6 amps at 1.8 Mhz, without excessive heating and drifting.

Therefore your only option is to parallel the 100 to 500pF capacitors.  If,
for some reason the voltage rating is insufficient on some of these
capacitors, you may have to consider a number of series  combinations as
well to make up the voltage rating.

If you are using ceramic doorknob capacitors, make sure they are of the NPO
type.

Have you considered using a 70 - 100 foot coil of RG213 or RG17 as the
capacitance?  Both are around 30pF per foot and have voltage ratings of 5000
and 11000 RMS respectively.  Sounds like overkill, but it becomes dead easy
to permanently adjust the capacitor value with a pair of sidecutters!

I often use this trick with smaller pieces of coax as part of the parallel
combination, but you must make sure that the coil of coax is kept well
insulated from any metal parts, or there can be breakthrough the outer
sheath.

Cheers

Peter   VK3QI