Topband: Buried Coax for Rx Array

To: Topband Reflector <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Buried Coax for Rx Array
From: Greg - ZL3IX <zl3ix@inet.net.nz>
Date: Tue, 04 Dec 2007 18:48:42 +1300
Having just completed some routine maintenance on my remote Rx array, I
find that the buried coax runs have started to degrade quite badly.  What
appears to happen is that moisture enters via a tiny nick, travels along
the cable via capillary action, and gradually eats away the braid.  One
section measured 30 ohms over a 10 ft length.

I therefore need to replace the cable runs.  Cost constraints will limit me
to the lower end of the market, and availability is also an issue.  I have
access to Belden 1189A and 9275.  Does anyone have any experience as to how
these two stand up when buried?  I'm not really too concerned about a
marginal degradation (this is only 2 MHz after all) but I would like to
avoid total corrosion of the braid if I can.

Any other ideas?

I don't have access to supplies of used solid CATV cable like you guys in
the US.

73, Greg,
ZL3IX