Re: Topband: Daylight QSO's during the SP

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Daylight QSO's during the SP
From: Carl K9LA <k9la@gte.net>
Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2007 15:47:07 -0500
Chas N5UL said:

> I worked F6IRA/p at 2325Z on the 29th. My local sunset
> followed at 2355Z. The next DX I heard (and worked) was
> CT1JLZ at 2356Z.

I believe many will agree that this is not an uncommon scenario -
especially in the winter months with high solar zenith angles (the Sun
is low on the horizon).

What's important is where the electromagnetic wave encounters the D
region, and the elevation angle involved. A low elevation angle wave
will spend more time in the D region, whereas a high elevation angle
wave will pass through quickly with less absorption.

If a low elevation angle was involved in N5UL's QSOs, then it would
start encountering the D region roughly over central Kansas - about
where the terminator is at 2325 UTC on Dec 29 along the path from N5UL
to F. The path being in daylight from N5UL to the terminator is not the
issue.

The other possibility is a ducted signal coming out at a high elevation
angle. The high angle would likely be due to the pronounced tilt in the
ionosphere on the N5UL end.

Carl K9LA