Re: Topband: Daylight 160 Sked

To: "Lee K7TJR" <k7tjr@msn.com>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Daylight 160 Sked
From: "VE3MGY" <vy2mgy@sympatico.ca>
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2008 20:56:11 -0500
On 2007-01-15 Lee K7TJR wrote:

>     Well that was a very interesting daylight test this a.m. . My
> Beverages were very noisy today as was the TX vertical. Only station heard
> and worked easily was K8IA at about 920 miles. Very large and slow QSB
> swings . The noise on the TX vertical is about s5-6 today and K8IA was
> above that at s-7 to 8 most of the time. Most interesting to me was the RX
> antennas. My Beverage antennas (1kft long) seemed noisy this a.m. like the
> TX antenna (1 extra s-unit). >   Lee K7TJR Oregon

I should mention that when I was running my daylight tests I found that
EVERY station I copied always had the best SNR on my TX vertical. Most of
the stations ( ~85 %) were not even audible on my beverages!! At the time I
figured this was because the vertical would have the advantage over the
beverages in receiving low angle signals when there was no QRN present. At
night the opposite would be true when you would expect the beverages would
have the best SNR.

73
Brian
VE3MGY