Re: Topband: radials under Beverage

To: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>,"topband@contesting.com" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: radials under Beverage
From: Charles Bibb <zedkay@bellsouth.net>
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2008 14:57:00 -0600
At 12:38 AM 1/24/2008, Jim Brown wrote:
>On Wed, 23 Jan 2008 18:23:23 -0000, Neil Carr G0JHC wrote:
>
> >(1)    Should I avoid this.
>
>YES.
>
>Beverages work on the principle that the ground under them is lossy.
>Add radials and it becomes less lossy, so the Beverage degrades.

With this in mind, then, how close can a Beverage be to buried
radials before its performance is compromised by extraneous noise pickup?

One of my Beverages skirts the edge of the radial field underneath my
TX vertical.  In fact, the tips of a few radials may extend
underneath the Beverage wire; I'll have to check. Should I trim those
"long" radials back?  If so, how far?

I've used a small portable radio tuned to the high end of the AM
broadcast band and placed on the end of a stick (kind of like a metal
detector) to locate buried (and now invisible) radials attached to
the TX vertical. The noise from the portable radio shoots WAY up when
I cross a buried radial.  I'm assuming this can/is also picked up by
the Beverage.

The $64k question is:  How close is too close?

73,
Charles - K5ZK