Topband: Field Day Stubs

To: "Top Band Reflector" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Field Day Stubs
From: "Ward Silver" <hwardsil@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2008 09:21:48 -0700
> Some years ago, our local Field Day 40-meter CW tent was continually
> barraged with adjacent harmonically-related QRM & splatter from the
> on-site
> 80 CW group, as well as the 75-meter 'phone boys...similarly, we'd be on
> the
> receiving end of complaints from the guys operating on 20-meters (when you
> crowd some 10 stations on a relatively small property, and operate all at
> the same time, there is BOUND to be difficulty).
>
> Like yours, our solution was a simple 40-meter 1/4-wave shorted stub,
> mounted right at the output of our transceiver by way of a "tee"
> connector.
> It made FD life "bearable", for our tent at least...!
>
> ~73~ Eddy VE3CUI - VE3XZ

Instructions for building a switchable "Field Day" stub that reduces
interference between stations on 40/20/15/10 are on the Hands-On Radio Web
site - http://www.arrl.org/tis/info/HTML/Hands-On-Radio/.  Download
Experiment #22 on "Stubs".  At the 80/75-meter station, attach a 1/4-wave
shorted stub as that will act as a short on 40, 20, 15, and 10 with varying
degrees of attenuation on the higher bands.  I think this was originally
suggested to me by K6LL or N2IC.

For the complete (and I mean COMPLETE) story, get a copy of W2VJN's book
"Managing Interstation Interference" from International Radio.

73, Ward N0AX