Re: Topband: Radial placement comments

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Radial placement comments
From: "Neil Carr G0JHC" <g0jhc@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2008 17:59:40 +0100
I have recently  buried  approx 100-130  x 1/4 wave (133ft) radials. I used
a number of methods inc borrowing  a digger and fitting a trailing spike on
the bucket, picture here
http://bp2.blogger.com/_1dP5BAA8jXI/R9K2_4rbLYI/AAAAAAAAANE/HtufN09TAPg/s160
0-h/making+radial+trenches.JPG  this method required putting the radial in
manually afterwards.

Later (after the digger had to go back) I built this unit
http://bp2.blogger.com/_1dP5BAA8jXI/SAbouvO4lMI/AAAAAAAAAQM/fxh2-CHigQU/s160
0-h/track.JPG
close up picture
http://bp0.blogger.com/_1dP5BAA8jXI/SAboTPO4lLI/AAAAAAAAAQE/ybj-Z5hSLEc/s160
0-h/upright.JPG  and underneath  view
http://bp3.blogger.com/_1dP5BAA8jXI/SAbnt_O4lKI/AAAAAAAAAP8/2RoZjps_hLY/s160
0-h/base.JPG

Neither are the sort of thing you would go across the lawn with, while the
XYL was watching, but the 2nd device worked very well and laid the radial at
the same time. A return trip the other way, driving the mover wheel over the
trial and the ground would be covered. If the ground is quite hard a 2nd
person is required to sit in the blue seat to add some extra weight, of
course as soon as you hit a rock your in trouble, great if you live in an
eare full of clay, but wouldn't work well in Arizona I guess.

Happy digging

Neil G0JHC