Topband: Radials

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: Radials
From: rick darwicki <n6pe@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 15 May 2008 21:06:18 -0700 (PDT)
Gents,
I have a 30' vertical with a 40 meter trap at the top, some horizontal wire to
an 80 meter trap and additional horizontal wire for 160 meters. It is mounted
on a 20' pole at the end of the roof peak. I have radials spread out all over
the roof like a ground plane. The horizontal portion takes off at about 45
degrees to the roof ridge so there is very little room for radials on the side
of the antenna away from the horizontal portion.
Playing with EZNEC  and just 3 radials the program shows better gain with the
radials out from under the horizontal portion.
I found 75' of wire and was considering cutting it into three pieces and
spreading them out as far from the horizontal portion as possible. EZNEC
indicates the best use on 160 would be one 75' radial at about 90 degrees to
the top wire.
Any real world suggestions on what to do with the wire? 1, 2, 3 pieces?
AS is the antenna works well on 40 and 80.
Thanks,
Rick N6PE